Books List of Best Books for IAS Examinations which helped all the UPSC Toppers to Clear IAS Exam
“In life, NO ONE and NOTHING will help you until you start helping YOURSELF.” This is the famous Quote for the UPSC Aspirants who really want to Appear for UPSC Civil Service Examinations.
There are Thousands of books which are available for IAS Exam, but most of them are not accurate or not containing the exact Content which UPSC need. UPSC Aspirants get confused with hundreds of books available for various topics.
Here in this post, we will give you list of only 5 Best Books for IAS examination Preparation which will definitely give you success in UPSC exam.
These books are having best Review from various UPSC Toppers and these books have helped lots of Top rankers of UPSC to secure good marks in the UPSC examinations.
We will not give you the list of hundreds of UPSC books which will confuse and demotivate because those books will not helpful for you in any ways in UPSC Examinations.
Believe us , Apart from these below sources, you DONT need to purchase any IAS books.You can buy these books from amazon by clicking on the books and get heavy discounts on every book.
Here are 5 Most Important Best Books for IAS Examination (Click on the Books to Buy )
Name of The Book
|Indian Economy by Ramesh Singh||Buy Now|
Addition to this Best Books for UPSC
Name of The Book
The above Books which are mentioned are for the Foundation of UPSC Civil Service Exam. We will Like to introduce with the Most important Books for All the UPSC Prelim, UPSC Mains, and UPSC Interview.
Best Books for IAS Preliminary Exam (Click on the links to buy UPSC Prelim Books)
|Book Name||Authore Name|
|India’s Ancient Past||R.S. Sharma|
|History Of Medieval India||Satish Chandra|
|India’s Struggle For Independence||Bipan Chandra|
|History Of Modern India||Bipan Chandra|
|Book Name||Authore Name|
|Indian and World Geography for Civil Services||D.R. Khullar|
|Geography of India||Majid Husain|
|Oxford School Atlas||Oxford|
|Facts of Indian Culture||Spectrum|
|The Wonder That Was India||A.L. Bhasham|
POLITY AND ECONOMY
|Indian Polity 5th Edition||M. Laxmikanth. (Polity)|
|Indian Economy 8th Edition||Ramesh Singh. (Economy)|
|Economic Survey||Government of India Ministry of Finance|
|Environmental Studies from Crisis to Cure 2nd Edition||R.Rajagoplan|
|Efforts Towards Green India – Environment and Ecology||Arihant Experts|
SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
|Science and Technology in India||
|Books||Authore / Category|
|General Studies: Paper I (2017)||Arihant (CSAT – Paper 1)|
|General Studies: Paper II (2017)||Arihant (CSAT – Paper 2)|
|Analytical Reasoning||M. K. Pandey (CSAT – Paper 2: Analytical Reasoning)|
|Verbal & Non-Verbal Reasoning||R. S.Aggarwal (CSAT Paper 2: Reasoning). K. Pandey|
|India Year Book 2017||(Current Affairs 2017)|
|Manorama Yearbook 2017||(Current Affairs 2017)|
Most Important and Additional IAS Preparation Books for UPSC Mains (Click to Buy Online)
|Contemporary Essays by Ramesh Singh|
|151 ESSAYS For UPSC Mains (Essay Paper)|
|A Compendium of Essays|
IAS Preparation Books FOR GENERAL STUDIES PAPER 1
|History of Modern World||Jain and Mathur (World History – GS1)|
|Social Problems In India||Ram Ahuja. (Indian Society – GS1)|
|India After Gandhi||Ramchandra Guha (History – GS1)|
IAS Preparation Books FOR GENERAL STUDIES PAPER 2
|India and the World by Surendra Kumar||(Foreign Policy – GS2)|
|Pax Indica – Shashi Tharoor||(Foreign Policy – GS2)|
|Governance in India for CSE||(Governance – GS2)|
|IAS Mains General Studies Paper 2||(Arihant Manual – GS2)|
IAS Preparation Books FOR GENERAL STUDIES PAPER 3
|India’s National Security: A Reader||(Internal Security – GS3)|
|Challenges to Internal Security of India||(Internal Security – GS3)|
|IAS Mains General Studies Paper 3||GS3. (Arihant Manual – GS3)|
IAS Preparation Books FOR GENERAL STUDIES PAPER 4
|Ethics, Integrity and Aptitude for Civil Services Mains||( Ethics – GS4)|
|IAS Mains General Studies Paper 4||( Arihant Manual – GS4)|
IAS Preparation Books for Interview
|CIVIL SERVICES INTERVIEW: HOW TO EXCEL||Madhukar Bhagat|
|Kit of Interviews||S. Rajinder Dhillon|
|Interviews The Last Basic Tips On facing Civil Services Personality Test||UNIQUE|
|Interview Cracker||Neelam Soni|
A full list of UPSC IAS Preparation Books available on Amazon.
|22 Years CSAT General Studies IAS Prelims Topic-wise Solved Papers (1995-2016) (Click to Buy Online)|
|General Studies Manual (GS Manual)|
IAS Preparation Books FOR General Studies Manual (GS Manual)
|Books||Categories / Author|
|IAS Mains Civil Services Main Examination||General Studies Chapter-wise Solved Papers|
|General Studies For Civil Services Preliminary Examination||TMH. (GS Problem Solving)|
|IAS (Pre.) Solved Papers General Studies with CSAT Papers||Arihant|
|IAS Prelims 20 Years General Studies Topic-Wise Solved Papers||Disha|
|UPSC Civil Services Prelims in 60 days||Rakesh Dwivedi. (Revision)|
Some of the Free and Paid Online Resources For UPSC / IPS/ IAS Prelims and Mains
|NCERT Books Free Download|
|Pratiyogita Darpan Magazine|
|Yojana Magazine Download|
Bonus Excellent IAS Study Material/ IAS Preparation Books and Resources which you can try to buy as this will really help you.
Small topics like disaster management, security, irrigation, left wing extremism, cyber security can be covered from internet sources like Iaspaper.net , Various other free Resources Solve Previous Year UPSC Questions , Yojana every month
Unacademy Preparation for IAS: 10 ‘Must-Read’ Books for UPSC-CSE 2016
Description and Review of the IAS Books which are listed above:
1.Indian Polity by Laxmikant
This book has been specifically designed to meet the academic needs of the civil services’ aspirants. With this handy resource, a reader can gain perspective on numerous features of the political system in the country as well as the trends.
Indian Polity by Laxmikanth is a very popular book for civil services examination, particularly for Public Administration. In fact, till a few years back when there were optional subjects in the preliminary exam as well, Laxmikanth was indispensable for Pub Ad and IAS aspirants used to literally wrote the entire book.
Divided into as many as 11 parts, the part one of the Indian Polity focuses on Indian constitutional framework while part two sheds light on the system of the Government of India. The next three parts of the book provide details about the Central, State and Local Governments and their individual ways of governing while the sixth and seventh parts deal with the Constitutional Bodies and UTs of the India Union. Detailed information on non-constitutional bodies, other constitutional dimensions, and working of the Indian constitution have been covered in rest of the parts.
IAS aspirants with no background knowledge of Indian polity and constitution will grasp the concepts quickly as the book is intended for beginners as well as experienced candidates. Indian Polity consists of useful bullet points to get the concepts across concisely and clearly.
Written in easy and clear language, Indian Polity’s appendices include A-Z aspects of Indian politics including but not limited to articles of the constitution, constitutional amendments, ministries and departments of the central government.
Apart from the detailed information concerning the various aspects of Indian politics, the book has a total of 71 chapters with 14 appendices. All chapters in the book are supplemented by a set of probable questions at the end. Those appearing for Civil Services Examinations can practice with these questions after having gone through the contents. Although primarily referred to as a good resource for those preparing for above-mentioned examinations, the book has also been used extensively by the students of Law.
In short, the book provides a birds’ eye view of numerous components of the Indian political system and the government. After having read the book, an aspirant may be able to go into the details of different topics separately. Available in the paperback edition, it is published by Tata McGraw-Hill Education. The fourth edition of this book by M Laxmikanth was published on July 1st, 2013.
About the author (Laxmikant ):
An alumnus of Osmania University in Hyderabad, M. Laxmikanth has to his credit a degree in Political Science; he has taught civil services’ aspirants at his private coaching academy. The academy, Laxmikanth’s IAS, is named after him. Apart from the Indian Polity, M. Laxmikanth has also authored another book titled Governance of India. Both of these books intend to serve as guidebooks for those preparing for UPSC Civil Services Preliminary Examinations and Public Administration.
Top Rated Reviews from Buyers of Amazon
- Superb, must read the book for civil service aspirants This a very good book. Everything is very well structured. You don’t need to make notes. But don’t just read from the start. Read the books by correlating the chapters. For ex- read President, then Vice- President, then go for Governor. Read Prime minister, a council of ministers then go for CM and state council of ministers. –Moti Prakash Panda
- An extremely well-written and a highly useful book This book is one of the musts reads for those preparing for civil services / other state services examination. The book is very methodically structured and the chapters are short and concise. The book covers among, inter alia, the chapters on Parliament and various Committees which I found particularly useful. The author has also tried to incorporate as much of comparison between the constitutions of select States as possible and to me, I believe, he has done justice to the cause –Abhishek Kumar
- Awesome book Must buy friends. Go for it. I say that this new edition is really good. Everything is described perfect point vise & every topic is clearly described in it by M. Laxmikanth. You’ll not get bored or confused while you read it. (‘_’) Some Updated features in this edition. 1) Total 71 Chapters & 14 Appendices covering the entire political & constitutional spectrum. 2) An invaluable reference for students of law , political science & public administration. 3) Practice questions on Indian polity for preliminary & main examination for UPSC. 4) All exciting chapters updated with additional information. 5) The other thing is 8 new chapters & 3 new appendices. This is the outstanding book , not only for UPSC examination but for the students who want to know about constitution & structure of India & Rights. Another thing is M. Laxmi Kant has always come with something new & this book is done it again & it’s awesome. Go for it with full confidence. –Rohan Kanhai
- This is the best book who want to understand Indian politics from the first step.
The language is very simple and readable language.
You don’t need any knowledge of political system for understanding this book
I rank 100 out of 100 for this book.
I was looking to learn and understand Indian politics so I purchase Class 9,10,11,12 book of politics of CBSE book of NCERT. But this book alone explains everything from the beginning to end.
It has chapters name like Prime Minister, Cheif Minister, President, Election, Parliament, Constitution, etc which explains in very easy language. By Amit
2.Geography of India by Majid Husain
Majid Husain’s book “Geography of India” is a comprehensive book on the subject which is very popular amongst students preparing for various competitive examinations. The book covers almost all the topics of Indian Geography.
Geography can be deemed as the study of the link between people and the environment they live in. It is also recognized as the study of places and the inhabitants that come along with them.
The book is a great help for aspirants who are looking to crack the Civil Services exams as it covers almost all aspects of the Geography of India, which is often a topic with high weight in the exam. This book is also a great help for students who have picked up the subject of Geography for their graduation. “Geography of India” is a good book for readers who are interested in knowing more about the largest democracy on planet earth, India.
More about the Book
The book covers all the topics of India’s geography like climate, topography and much more. The book is divided into chapters for easy understanding of the students. It covers all major components of geography like Drainage, Seasons, Structure, Wildlife Parks and other facets of the nation, with a separate chapter for natural resources. All chapters have been comprehensively explained so that readers of this book experience no difficulty in clearing and understanding the concepts of Geography. At the end of the book, a questionnaire of MCQs has been provided so that students can check their understanding and gain an idea about the type of questions asked in the various competitive examinations.
About the Author ( Majid Husain) and Publisher
Majid Husain is a retired professor from the prestigious university, Jamia Milia Islamia. The publisher of this book is McGraw-Hill Education India Private Limited which is known for their commitment to providing reference books for students in all sectors.
This book is easily available online for convenient shopping. Get this book from Amazon.in today with the simple click of a button.
Reviews from verified buyers from Best Books for IAS
- Nice book with and detailed info for a beginner. goes well till 4th chapter, and then turns to vegetation, resources, agricultural and industrial with political aspects, which I was not expecting from this book.though good experience to about such things which is not useful in any way.( Yogesh Vishwakarma)
- A must have book if you want to understand the geography of India from root to tip. Presented in a very lucid way. It details topics in a way that you get the complete understanding of it. Updated info and maps. Amazon’s delivery is always 5 stars… Got the book delivered through Blue dart ????? (Sumit)
- This book is very knowledgeful .it can be used as study material for civil exam aspirants and is also useful for BA and other competitions ,its language is easy to understand.(Vivek Kumar Pandey)
3.Ramesh Singh for economics
Indian Economy is a comprehensive text, with detailed coverage of all topics in the UPSC Preliminary and Main syllabus. Written by a subject expert who has several books on economics, contemporary essays etc. to his credit, the book is of immense importance to academics, researchers, aspirants of civil services examinations and those with an abiding passion for the subject. The book is recommended by UPSC on its reading list. The book is a stellar product, with many years of bestselling performance.
Reviews from verified buyers for Best Books for IAS
- A very good book for CSE. But very much lengthy. A selective study required for this book. –By Sisir Kumar Dash on 13 March 2016Very awesome and fantastic book. I bought it for the general introduction of the Indian economy, but this book proposes more than this. Topics are well designed to cover the entire UPSC syllabus. One who wants to prepare Indian Economics as a subject must read. However, the best thing about this book is that it is well designed in a way and written in a manner that everyone can read very easily. –By Mayank Pathak on 30 October 2015
- Very awesome and fantastic book. I bought it for the general introduction of the Indian economy, but this book proposes more than this. Topics are well designed to cover the entire UPSC syllabus. One who wants to prepare Indian Economics as a subject must read. However, the best thing about this book is that it is well designed in a way and written in a manner that everyone can read very easily. (Mayank Pathak)
- A very good book for CSE. But very much lengthy. A selective study required for this book.(Sisir Kumar Das)
4) A brief history of modern India by spectrum
A Brief History of Modern India deals with the events that shaped the happening after the decline of the Mughal empire and the rise of East India Company and the advent of British rule in the country.
Being only a brief history, the important events which include Indian Mutiny from a nationalistic point of view India’s first war of independence in 1857 to attaining freedom in 1947 have been structured in a timeline that is easy to understand.
Written in an easy to understand language, the book is a good ready reckoner for many competitive examinations such as banks, state and union civil services examinations.
Major contents of the book are Revolt of 1857, Religious and Social Reform Movements, National Movement, Administrative Changes After 1857, Development of Indian Press, Civil Rebellions and Tribal Uprisings-1757-1900, Peasant Movements-1857-1947, Movement of Working Class, and Evolution of Nationalist Foreign Policy.
In addition, the book also lays emphasis on personalities associated with specific movements such as peasant and tribal movements as well as the freedom movement. At the end of each chapter important points have been tabulated as bullet points, charts or in tables for quick review.
For students as well as candidates preparing for competitive examinations, the book has nearly all important details that would meet the level of knowledge required for preparation. End of chapter key points is there for making a quick revision and for undergoing a self-analysis about recalling historical facts.
Reviews from verified buyers
- Well written the book.It covers the whole Modern Indian history.
Presentation is good
Key points at the end of each chapter are very useful for revision.
Bipan Chandra’s “History of Modern India” is interesting to read but from the examination perspective Spectrum is better
Outscores Bipan Chandra’s “History of Modern India” because of its neat presentation.
Though the size of the book is small, the font size is normal.
Nothing new is added in the new edition.
- Reading now. Well summarized. “Summary” section at the end is especially good.
- only read if short on time….all prelims questions can be answered after thoroughly reading it. if time is there, go through and India’s struggle for independence….will help in mains.
5) General Studies Based on NCERT Syllabus
The book ‘General Studies Based on NCERT Syllabus’ has been published by McGraw-Hill Education. The authors of the book are Sheelwant Singh and Kriti Rastogi. This book is a compilation of the information required to appear for the Civil Services Paper 1 Examination.
In this book, students will find that that the entire syllabus for Civil Services paper 1 appropriately covered in details. Right from the basics to the most complicated topics, every topic has found a place in this book. Students who are preparing for competitive exams can greatly benefit from this book. The format of the book is very user-friendly and the authors have done quite a bit of research for it. Students will be glad to know that the entire syllabus prescribed for Prelims has been covered in this book.
The book is very useful for students from class six onwards. There are well-written chapters on General Science, Technology, Indian Polity, Constitution, Geography, Indian Economy and History in this book. As evident from the description, the book pretty much covers all the important topics. Students who want to boost their confidence and learn the basics properly can refer to this book readily.
Reviews from verified buyers for Best Books for IAS
- You are done the grateful job for segregation syllabi and compact in one book from NCERT BOOKS. I appreciate, for releasing such kind of books in the market, if do you revise the price for all people who require this.
I personally, request you to edit the chapter wise again because typographical errors and some places technical errors also repeated.I suggest for next revised book, you will fulfill all aspects.Thanks
- Much useful but exhaustive. Ncert can’t be avoided. If you start with it and then go to NCERT, you will grab faster. It’s also useful for post-NCERT quick revisBestion.( By Sultan)
- Much useful but exhaustive. Ncert can’t be avoided. If you start with it and then go to NCERT, you will grab faster. It’s also useful for post-NCERT quick revision.